Frequently Asked Questions
Learn More About Sunset
What to Expect from Studies
Frequently Asked Questions
View Course Descriptions
Steps to Earn Your Degree
Register/Apply for Admission to the Degree Program
- Do I have to pay to use SunsetOnline?
- What sort of degree or certificate is offered?
- What is Sunset International Bible Institute?
Courses and Enrollment
- What is the difference between auditing a course and taking it for credit?
- What is the cost of courses at SunsetOnline, and what is included?
- How long does my enrollment in a course last?
- Is it possible to extend my enrollment in a course?
- Are there any scholarships available?
- Is there an application for the Bachelor of Biblical Studies degree?
- I registered for an account on SunsetOnline, but never received the confirmation email that allows me to login.
- I forgot my password; how do I go about resetting it?
- How long is each of the lessons in a course?
- Is there any difference between the video and audio lessons?
- What should I do if I'm having a problem trying to take a course, or something is not working right (video, audio, etc.)?
- How do I print or enlarge the lesson outline?
- I have taken Sunset Satellite School Level 2 classes. Can I take any of these courses as Level 2?
- What is required in a Research Paper/Book Evaluation?
- Do I need to submit the "Self-Exam" Questions at the end of some of the lessons?
- What are the hardware requirements for my computer?
- What are the software requirements for my computer?
- Do I need to have Real Player, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, or Flash?
- I am getting errors about cookies not being enabled in my browser. How can I enable them?
- The video isn't working -- nothing shows up on the left side of video lessons.
- The video isn't working -- the video player appears, but when I press play I only hear the audio, there is no picture.
- The video isn't working -- all I see is a message that says "connecting..."
- In the video lessons, the video is choppy, keeps pausing, or keeps starting and stopping.
- In the video lessons, I can't hear anything, or I can hear it but it is very low.
- The audio player isn't working -- I don't see an audio player at all on audio lesson pages.
- The audio player isn't working -- the player appears, but the play button doesn't work.
- I tried to take an exam, but nothing happened; it never came on screen.
We have made the first lesson of each course available free for you to preview and enjoy. There is a fee to take courses for credit, as well as for other audit courses. See below for more details on course pricing. Credit courses also have required textbooks which must be purchased separately.
Courses and Enrollment
- Streaming video of the instructor teaching
- Streaming audio of the instructor teaching (an alternative to streaming video for those with slower computers or internet connections)
- An online study guide (a text outline of important lesson points)
Audit courses are designed for those who want to learn and grow but do not want to pursue credit for their learning. There are no assignments, tests, or other requirements in audit courses.
Taking a course as a credit student allows you to receive full SIBI credit for your accomplishment. The requirements for credit courses are detailed on each course's "Credit Requirements" page but generally include most or all of the following:
- Watching or listening to the lessons online
- Reading of textbooks
- Assigned readings from the Bible
- Memory work (Bible verses that must be memorized)
- Evaluation Papers and Research Papers
- Exams - each course includes a Mid-Term Exam and a Final Exam
When you enroll in a course for credit (as opposed to audit), you can access the course for a significantly more extended period of time. This allows you to take your time learning the material, working on the requirements for credit, and preparing for exams.
Credit courses are each 3 credit hours and are $135 ($45 per hour). This includes the same streaming video and audio as the audit courses.
Credit courses also include:
- Course requirements which must be completed in order to pass the course (see the question above for detail).
- Grading of assignments by SunsetOnline staff.
- A grade book to keep track of your grades in the course.
Most importantly, every credit course that you pass earns you credit on your transcript at SIBI.
Note: Tuition prices for our audit and credit courses are subject to change without notice at our discretion.
Note: Any required textbooks for-credit courses are not included in the price. Your textbooks must be purchased separately. The "Credit Requirements" page for each course lists the required textbook(s) for the course along with links to purchase them online from extensionschool.com (the online bookstore for sunsetonline.org).
|12 lessons||24 lessons|
(approx. 6 months)
(approx. 6 months)
(approx. 4 months)
(approx. 9 months)
To learn more about scholarships and to see the application forms, please see the SunsetOnline Scholarship Info page.
Yes, the online Bachelor of Biblical Studies degree application is now available for you to fill out. We would encourage you to go ahead and fill it out now and begin your studies. Your application will be approved upon review. The classes you take for credit until approval count towards your online degree. All degree students must apply: Sunset Online Student Application
If you still can't find the confirmation email, it is possible that you had a typo in your email address when registering, and it never got to your email in the first place. Contact SunsetOnline technical support and include the following: your name, your email address, and the date that you attempted to register on the site.
- Go to the Forgotten Password page and enter your email address. This must be the same email address you used when you created your account on SunsetOnline, and must be an address that you still have access to. Click the "OK" button.
- The page will reload and confirm that an email has been sent to your email address with a link that you must click. Check your email and look for an email with the subject, "SunsetOnline.org: change password confirmation". Click the confirmation link within that email to confirm that you want to reset your password.
- Clicking the link in the previous step will bring you to a page confirming that a second email has been sent to you containing a new, auto-generated password. Recheck your email and look for an email with the subject, "SunsetOnline.org: Changed password". In the email, you will find your username as well as your new, auto-generated password.
If you are content with the new, auto-generated password that was emailed to you in step 3, then you are done. You may not log in to the site using that password. However, you may prefer to change the password to something of your choosing that you'll have an easier time remembering. In that case, go to the Change Password page and enter the following in the fields on that page:
- Username - your username, as included in the email from step 3 above.
- Password - your current password, which is the auto-generated one that was emailed to you in step 3 above.
- New password (twice) - type a new password of your choosing that you would like to change to.
- PC: Windows 98 or newer
- Mac: OS X 10.1 or newer
Almost any modern web browser should work. Older browsers may or may not work. The following have been tested with sunsetonline.org and work well:
- Internet Explorer (higher than version 10)
- Mozilla Firefox
- Safari (higher than version 7)
In addition, your web browser should be configured in the following ways:
- Your browser must be configured to accept cookies. Again, most web browsers are already configured this way, but if yours is not then you will not be able to log in to the site.
- Any pop-up blocking (whether built-in to the browser or through an add-on such as Google Toolbar) must be configured to allow pop-ups from sunsetonline.org. This is necessary for the exams and other areas of the courses.
To enable cookies, simply visit this page and follow the simple instructions for the web browser you are using.
If the problem is still occurring after several page refreshes, it is possible that your internet connection is simply not fast enough to handle the streaming video. Bear in mind that we offer a streaming audio version of each lesson for users with dial-up internet connections or types of connections that are slower or less reliable. It is also a possibility that our video server is having problems as well. If you believe this to be the case, please contact SunsetOnline technical support.
- Your internet connection is too slow for the streaming video.
- Your computer is too slow for streaming video.
In this situation, you will be best off listening to the streaming audio version of each lesson rather than attempting to play the streaming video version.
- You might have an old version of Flash Player installed. Use the instructions here to check your version and update it if needed.
- It might simply mean that there are problems due to congestion on the streaming media server or your own internet connection. In this case, the problem will likely go away by the next time you try to access the site.
If you are having this problem, you will need to configure your popup blocker to allow popups from sunsetonline.org. This is done by adding sunsetonline.org to what is called a "whitelist" in your popup blocker software. For instructions on how to do this with Google Toolbar, click here.